Combining English and Math Tutors with Technology
Our program offers a unique blended approach to tutoring, combining weekly online lessons with qualified tutors to support families over the phone. The learning experience can be broken down in to four steps. Each step is critical to ensuring that children get the support they need from our program.
Step 1: Student Assessment
Each child is assessed across multiple years of the curriculum to find any knowledge gaps from previous grades which may be holding your child back. This is a very important stage of the tutoring process.
For Math, the assessment phase takes up to 45 mins and provides you a full report on your child’s Math competency. For English, we assess your child as they learn.
Step 2: Personalized Learning
Using the results of the assessment we create a lesson plan especially for your child. Every Monday, the lesson plan is updated, and your child is given a new list of activities for the week to complete. Essentially, the lesson plan takes your child through 3 learning stages.
- Revision and catch up: When starting with iSmartStudent, the lesson plan will target the knowledge gaps identified by the assessment. By filling these gaps children become much more confident and ready to learn what is currently being taught in class.
- Consolidation: Once the child has caught up, they are ready to consolidate and practice what is being taught in class. This is a very exciting time for children as they are beginning to “get it.”
- Extension: Once they have consolidated what is being taught in class, children are ready to start progressing ahead of the class. These kids begin to find school much easier, their confidence continues to improve, and they begin to need less time to complete their homework.
Step 3: Support from Real Tutors
Math Support: Our weekly lesson plans ensure that children have the support and direction they need to work at their own pace through the curriculum. Even though every activity provides instant feedback, and Math Wiz teaches, builds skills, revises and tests, we realise that sometimes children need more help. If your child is ever stuck on a question or they just don’t seem to get a topic from their lessons, they can pick up the phone and speak to one of our friendly tutors for up to 10 hours per week.
- No additional charge for use.
- Available Monday – Thursday during evening hours (Call for details)
- Use latest technology including screen sharing and whiteboard technology to more clearly explain concepts to children.
- If children are stuck with school homework our tutors can give direction on which lessons to complete in the program.
Parent Helpline: Many families explain to us they are frustrated with school reports as they can be vague and so infrequent. With iSmartStudent, we provide you with weekly progress updates so you can see how your child is “really” progressing. Parents are also encouraged to discuss their child’s progress on the programs with our tutors. These discussions are very helpful for our tutors, so they can improve the learning program for your child.
Rewards and Motivation
For some children, doing better in school is not enough motivation or reward. We get that! To help with this we implemented a rewards program where kids earn points as they learn. The cool thing is they get to spend these points to enter competitions; to win real prizes or even better, buy real prizes such as gift cards, movie tickets and much more! You will be surprised how children respond to a little encouragement and reward – it really does help.